kicki22. Get yours at bighugelabs.com

Friday, January 1, 2010

How I plan to live 2010 by the numbers

For me, this year needs to be all about building discipline. I've never considered myself a disciplined person. While I might be diligent and even focused, I've never been disciplined. So, rather than loads of resolutions I won't keep I'm going to try to build discipline by living by the numbers.

365 - It's not that large of a number. But, when it comes to keeping up with a goal or a task every day for 365 days, I've never - EVER - been able to come close. Three hundred, sixty-five pennies is only $3.65. Three hundred, sixty-five calories is less than what is consumed by drinking some candy bars and most twenty ounce bottles of soda. Three hundred, sixty-five days is, on average less than 1/70 of the life of a person. Three hundred, sixty-five days is just one year - a mere blip in the span of history. Yet what can I do, once a day, every day, for three hundred, sixty-five days. Here is what I plan to do every day, over the next 365 days:
  • Write - Whether it's a post like this one or simply writing down a quote that inspired me that day, I plan to write something - anything - every day.
  • Reflect - What is my place in this world? How do I fit here? What is my purpose? I plan to spend a few minutes each day reflecting on these questions.
  • Create - Whether a photograph, a collage, a piece of doodling doesn't matter (although I'm participating in a couple of different photo365 projects to try to keep me motivated). I will create something each day this year.
52 - Only fifty-two weeks in a year - and already so much of that is planned. I already have travel plans for more than eight weeks this year. What can I do at least once a week each week for fifty-two straight weeks. These should be slightly bigger things that lead to helping me achieve my 365 activities:
  • Cache - In 2009 I "discovered" geocaching. At least once each week in 365, I want to find a new cache.
  • Move - I want to make real changes in my physical appearance in 2010 and that's going to require some movement - at least once a week I need to move.
  • Review - I'm committed to staying on top of my life this year. That requires a weekly review each week.
12 - Each month is a chance to start anew - to refresh and get a new perspective. The twelve almost equally sized months divide the year into manageable chunks. Months slip by without our notice - I don't want it to happen this year. I want to mark the passing of each month this year by enjoying something special every single month.

2 comments:

  1. I love your logical and approach, I will be following with great interest.

    Si

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the attitude, you may not be disciplined but you sound determined. Good luck for 2010 :)

    ReplyDelete